Saturday, December 24, 2005

Christmas Eve

Wow! It's Christmas Eve and yesterday I got my first lie-in in well, in ages I guess. Paul got up early with Alfie and left the house leaving Lizzy and I snuggled up warm in our bed until almost 11am!!!! It was sheer bliss. When I woke up I was a bit worried as the boys were nowhere to be seen. I called Paul on his mobile and they were at the beach. They had taken a stroll to the beach and were warming themselves by a camp fire they had made from driftwood. They were being boys. What a lovely Daddy. We met up later in the day to do our Christmas food shopping and then Daddy and Alfie went to McDonalds, a rare treat, for a (un)happy meal. Alf was thrilled with the toy, a model of Aslan from Narnia, but I was perturbed to find that not only did Alfie not know who he was but also Jasmine and Paul had never read any of the C S Lewis books!! What happened there? They were among my favourite books as a child along with Swallows and Amazons, the Phoenix and the Carpet and the Faraway Tree, Wishing Chair books. I have read to my children religiously and am dismayed to say that I must have missed the C S Lewis ones from Jasmine's bedtime curriculum. I must make amends and read these to Alfie. He adores being read to and it is the worst punishment for him to not have a story at bedtime. He is now an avid reader himself and I think it's a great gift to impart the love of reading to your chldren. I noticed that when I was wrapping up the presents last night I had no books for the children so I am off to get a few last minute gifts. Pin It

1 comment:

Tanya said...

We can't wait to see Narnia :-) I read the book to Floss and Phoebe when Pink was a baby. They start to get more complicated after the first book so maybe the tapes are a good idea. No one in France has heard of the books either and think it's a walt disney creation :-(
No parcel but don't worry Dons they have sooo much to be going on with only Guy didn't get them books either and they devour books too....